Qatar ‘ready to discuss, won’t compromise sovereignty’
Qatar is prepared to work together with other Gulf countries blockading it so as to achieve a resolution to a noteworthy diplomatic crisis, its foreign minister has said, stressing, nonetheless, that his nation won’t discuss any measures that encroach on its sovereignty.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain and Egypt cut diplomatic ties with Qatar and imposed sanctions on it on June 5, accusing it of supporting “terrorism”. The allegation is rejected by Doha.
After over two weeks, the four Arab countries gave Doha a 10-day ultimatum to comply with a 13-point demand list in exchange for the finish of the counter Qatar measures.
“The response of Qatar has been purposefully measured, yet unequivocal,” Sheik Mohammed container Abdulrahman Al Thani, Qatar’s foreign minister, said on Thursday from Washington, DC, where he had been holding a series of key meetings gone for defusing the crisis.
“We will negotiate any legitimate grievances with our neighbours, yet we won’t compromise our sovereignty,” he said, calling the “siege” on Qatar “a reasonable demonstration of aggression” that damaged international law.
“These hostile actions were based on unsubstantiated claims and false assumptions. The proof is yet to be presented.”
The demands submitted by Saudi Arabia and its allies incorporated that Qatar shut down the Al Jazeera network, close a Turkish military base and scale down ties with Iran.
In the list, the four Arab countries also demand that Doha sever every single affirmed tie with the Muslim Brotherhood and other groups, including Hezbollah, al-Qaeda and ISIL (also known as ISIS), and pay an unspecified sum in compensation for what they guaranteed to be “loss of life and other financial losses caused by Qatar’s policies”.
Speaking to reporters, the Qatari foreign minister emphasized Qatar’s position that the list was unreasonable, describing it as a “push to undermine our foreign strategy and national sovereignty”.
“He was truly evident that these demands are inadmissible and that Qatar couldn’t do these things, regardless of the possibility that it needed to,” Al Jazeera’s James Bays, revealing from Washington, DC, said.
The Qatari foreign minister also hit back at comments made by his Saudi counterpart, Adel al-Jubeir, who on Tuesday said that there will be no negotiations over the list of demands.
“Using the terminologies of demands and non-debatable, I don’t think this is a socialized approach to take part in solving a crisis,” Mohammed container Abdulrahman said.
His comments came toward the finish of a several days outing to Washington, where he met key leaders, including US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres, to discuss the crisis.
Al Jazeera’s Bays said that despite the abnormal state meetings and intervention efforts there has been so far “no breakthrough to this crisis that has almost lasted” for a month.
“The deadline from the countries which are endeavoring to blockade Qatar is one week from now,” he included. Also, one week from now is an essential meeting of the G20 countries – at that summit, Saudi Arabia, a G20 member, will be represented, yet Qatar won’t.”