IG Nobel Prize 2017: “Can a cat be both a liquid and and a solid?”
For those who don’t know what IG Nobel Prize are, here is what all you need to know. Ig Nobel Prize is parody of Nobel Prize which is awarded every autumn to celebrate 10 unusual or trivial achievements in scientific researches. It is being awarded since 1991 for making people laugh first and then think. It is organized by the scientific humor magazine, the Annals of Improbable Research. It is presented by the Nobel Prize laurenters in ceremony at the Sanders, Harvard University. It was created by Abrahams, editor and co-founder of Annals of Improbable Researches. The awards are sometimes criticism via satire. However, it draws attention on scientific articles that have some humorous or unexpected aspect.
In 2010, Sir Andre Geim was awarded a Nobel Prize in Physics for his work with graphene, thus becoming the first person to receive both a Nobel Prize and an individual Ig Nobel Prize.
Indian people who have received the award till now are:-
- In 2005, Gauri Nanda, an MIT student, won the Economic Prize for inventing an alarm clock that runs away and hides, to force you get out of bed in the morning.
- In 2008, Prof Baba Shiv, neuro-economic expert at Stanford, won the Medicine prize for co-authoring a paper arguing that more expensive placebos work better than cheaper placebos.
- In 2014, she and her medical colleagues won the Medicine Prize award for their discovery that packing strips of cured pork into child’s nasal cavity can stop life-threatening nose bleeding.
The awards for Ig Nobel Prize always make people laugh first and then think upon the topic. Same happened this year as well. This is the recent sensation over the internet since the results were announced for this year. The award function took place on Thursday night, 14th September, 2017. It was the 27th Ig Nobel Prize award ceremony that took place at Harvard University. Some of the awards for this year go like:-
- PHYSICS PRIZE (France, Singapore, USA): Marc- Antoine Fardin for using fluid dynamics to put the question “Can a cat Be Both a Liquid and a Solid?”
- PEACE PRIZE (Switzerland, Canada, The Neitherlands, USA): Milo Puhan, Alex Suarez, Chritian Lo Cascio, Alfred Zahn, Markus Heitz and Otto Braendii for demonstrating that the regular playing of a didgeridoo is an effective treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea and snoring.
- ANATOMY PRIZE (UK) : James Heathcote for his medical study “Why Do Old Man Have Big Ears?” to which the answer was found that the gravity pulls them and elongate them
- FLUID DYNAMICS PRIZE (SOUTH KOREA, USA): Jiwon Han for studying the dynamics of liquid-sloshing, to learn what happens when a person walks backward while carrying a cup of coffee.
The list doesn’t end here it goes on. The Ig Nobel Prize gives awards under the following categories as well:-
- Economic prize
- Biology prize
- Nutrition prize
- Medicine prize
- Cognition prize
- Obstetrics prize